Uniforms foster success

Ava Godbey, Staff Writer

To wear a uniform or to not wear a uniform? To be decked in blue-green plaid or choose a new pattern every day? Ties or surprise? Saddle shoes or sneakers? 

These are the questions that plague the minds of school across the world. Those schools must weigh the positives of uniforms against the negatives, but in my mind, it is clear that uniforms increase the quality of learning and education. 

Administrators across the country believe that uniforms help students be more productive and successful in the classroom.

“When all students are wearing the same outfit, they are less concerned about how they look and how they fit in with their peers; thus, they can concentrate on their schoolwork,” said the National Association of Secondary School Principals.   

Not only do uniforms promote productivity, but they also limit the amount of violent activity schools are prone to. 

Schools who enforce uniforms saw “fighting incidents went down by 51%, sex offenses were cut by 74%, robbery dropped by 65%” after two years according to the Greyhound

This dramatic cut in crime rates demonstrates that uniforms are not only effective in terms of productivity but also safety. But what about general student happiness? Even if the data supports my opinion, do my classmates agree?

The answer is yes. 

Several St. Pius students gave me their response regarding uniforms. 

Freshman Ethan Noel said, “I love having the uniforms because you don’t have to worry about fitting in, everyone is wearing the same thing you are.” 

With majority St. Pius students coming from Catholic feeder schools, most students are accustomed to wearing their uniforms and have worn similar outfits since grade school.

Sophomore Elizabeth Nark said, “I have worn a uniform since grade school [at Holy Redeemer,] it’s just something that I don’t think about anymore.”

This adaptation to uniforms is not surprising on a psychological level. When a person knows that they will be wearing their uniform every day, it leaves room for them to think of other things like tests, assignments, or extracurricular activities. 

Many other St. Pius students came from schools that do not enforce uniforms. Contrary to popular thought, most of these students enjoy donning the St. Pius uniform. 

“I like that uniforms are an equalizer; uniforms help you concentrate on what you’re learning rather than what the person next to you is wearing,” said Sophomore Chloe Dierkes who went to Intown Community School. 

On out-of uniform days, students notice whether their classmates are wearing name brands like Golden Goose or Nike, instead of the classic saddle shoes or black sneakers. If they become transfixed on the accessories that their friends are or are not wearing, they begin to notice the little things which add up to a large distraction. 

So in my opinion, I believe that while out-of-uniform days are a beloved break from the norm, to maintain a high level of learning and concentration, it is prudent of St. Pius to continue enforcing uniforms.