Taking it to the extreme

Students participate in extreme experiences like skydiving and riding the world’s fastest roller coaster.

Senior Baxter Petersen skydives for the first time to celebrate his 18th birthday.

Photo courtesy of Baxter Petersen

Avery Brown, Staff Writer

It may come as a surprise, but students really do have lives outside of school. Most students have jobs, play sports, or participate in clubs, but a select few wanted to try something more thrilling. Get to know those who partook in some extreme experiences that others wouldn’t dare to try. 

Several seniors took the opportunity to try something different and exciting. Some of the activities include skydiving and riding the world’s fastest roller coaster. These students felt as though these activities were something that should be experienced at least once in their lives and when the opportunity presented itself, they took it. 

Senior Emmy Glenn was one of the few who went skydiving.

“One of the best parts was the first few seconds right when we jumped out of the plane,” she said.

Glenn described it as “the best experience in the world,” and she would love to do it again. She even took her adventure to the next level and asked the instructor of her tandem skydive if they could do a gainer, or a backflip, as they leapt from the plane. As they coasted through the air ,Glenn said the view was indescribable. 

“Although we were in California, I could see the coast all the way to Mexico,” said Glenn. “And after he pulled our parachute chord, we would spin in circles so I could see all of California.”

Another student who tried skydiving was senior Baxter Petersen. Petersen knew the minute he turned 18 he wanted to go skydiving. To make sure he followed through on his wish, he scheduled his dive weeks before he was even eligible. 

“It felt like I was floating through the air instead of a falling feeling,” said Petersen. “It was an amazing experience that went by too fast.”

Although you have to be 18 to skydive, senior Rocky Burger didn’t want to wait to try something extreme. During a trip to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, Burger rode the world’s fastest roller coaster, the Formula Rossa. 

“The adrenaline rush was like nothing I have ever experienced before,” Burger said. “It was intense and thrilling all at the same time.” 

All three students think these experiences are something everyone should try. Fear is a big factor that discourages many from trying something new, but they refused to fear dictate their actions and didn’t regret their decision for a second.

Now that they have checked these experiences off of their bucket list, what comes next? Petersen said his next experience is going to be parasailing, Glenn said she would love to go bungee jumping, and Burger said he is going to try skydiving! Take the plunge and just do it because you never know what experiences are waiting for you if you would just try them!