Cancellation of CMLA season sends shockwaves through basketball community

Cal Petersen, Staff Writer

For the past few months, we’ve seen a flurry of excitement from the sports world. The Lakers took home an NBA title, the Dodgers finally earned a World Series trophy, our Falcons are a disappointment yet again, Alabama sits on top of the latest college football rankings, and Dustin Johnson recently won the Masters.

ESPN and other national sports media have been covering these events around the clock, but the big question on everyone’s mind is why aren’t they talking about the Catholic Metro League Association, better known as CMLA.

CMLA is a basketball league based in Atlanta that allows players who were too good (ok, possibly not good enough) for their high school teams to play in a church league. This league requires blood, sweat, and tears developing some of the best players that fans have ever seen.

But the energy and enthusiasm for the upcoming season came to an abrupt halt last month when, to the horror of everyone, the CMLA commissioner announced that the 2020 season was cancelled. Not postponed. Not rescheduled. Cancelled. The proclamation sent shock waves throughout the local community. 

Speaking on the touchy subject, senior Keegan Gaffney said, “I’ve been workin’ my tail off this offseason, and I even put a couple of jacks and aces up my sleeve all to find out it’s been cancelled.”

Gaffney was saddened by this news and his athletic future is in jeopardy as he was expecting to pick up an offer from one of his Division III dream schools, including the nearby Oglethorpe University. 

High school coaches across the state are also unhappy because many find their team’s next superstar in this league. 

Bronny James, LeBron’s son, was thinking about teaming up with St. Pius X senior Nick Berretta until the news recently came out about not having a season. 

“St. Jude was a superteam that definitely could’ve taught my son high level IQ basketball,” LeBron said.

Many students around Atlanta and at St. Pius are unable to compete in the league this year. Thankfully this won’t stop players from continuing the process.

“It’s going to be a scary sight next year after I’ve been grinding for over a year. My bag is going to have acquired some new tricks,” sophomore Charlie Palumbo said.

While the season has been removed from the hands of these prospects, they’ve still kept their heads high like true CMLA champions.