Officially official

Two seniors sign to play soccer in college

Senior+Isabelle+Lee+%28High+Point+University%29+and+Renee+Lyles+%28Clemson+University%29+celebrate+their+signing+day+on+November+11+with+head+soccer+coach+Sara+Schmitt.+

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Sara Schmitt

Senior Isabelle Lee (High Point University) and Renee Lyles (Clemson University) celebrate their signing day on November 11 with head soccer coach Sara Schmitt.

Emmy Glenn, Staff Writer

Senior soccer players Renee Lyles and Isabelle Lee both had their official college signing day on Wednesday, November 11, with Lyles joining the Clemson Tigers and Lee the High Point Panthers.

Due to an unexpected week of virtual learning, the scheduled signing that was supposed to take place after school in the auditorium had to be moved outside to Lyles’ driveway. Friends and teammates were able to drive by to say hello and congratulate the girls, and head soccer coach Sara Schmitt participated in the event as well.

“It was a different type of signing day, but it was still a fun event celebrating two great girls,” Coach Schmitt said.

Despite the last-minute change, Lee said her official signing day “very surreal because I have waited for this day for so long.” 

Lyles agreed and said the signing inspires her even more to continue her hard work so that she will be at her best when she arrives at Clemson. 

This is “just the beginning of the journey,” she said.

“Watching Renee and Isabelle sign just brings so much joy to me,” Coach Schmitt said. “I love knowing that the girls will continue their soccer careers in college.” 

Coach Schmitt coached both girls since their freshman year, and during that time the women’s soccer program has won a state championship and a state runner-up title before their 2020 season was cut short due to Covid. 

“The way in which you approach adversity in life really speaks about you as a person, and both of these ladies took this head on!” she told the girls at their signing.

Lyles, Lee, and the rest of the soccer team is scheduled to begin their season in January, and they’ll be looking to win their 13th state championship in program history.