Students share their plans for Christmas break amid Covid concerns

RJ Brewster, Staff Writer

Throughout the year of 2020 many things have changed. From online concerts, zoom calls with family, and even virtual school, we’ve been forced into an all new way of living. What was once fun and unique in March is now tiresome and stressful nine months later, and we all need an escape. 

Unfortunately even our vacations are different, and for many of us Christmas break will look very different than it has in previous years. Three St. Pius X students shared their plans for the upcoming for their “Corona-cation.”

Senior Robbie Maimone

Where are you going to celebrate the holidays this year?

Maimone: I am staying at home in Dunwoody for Christmas break because of Covid concerns.

How will this holiday season be different because of Covid?

Maimone: Instead of going out to eat and celebrate the holidays we are doing a lot of family stuff involving dinners. We are all picking a meal and going to cook it for the family. Just having some fun during the quarantine.

Is this vacation spot different from past years because of the virus?

Maimone: Yes, typically we go to the lake or to my grandparents house but because of Corona we cannot do that this year.

Senior Jake Connell

Connell: I am going to the Intercontinental in Buckhead for this Christmas.

Connell: Well we have never done Christmas at a hotel before so that will be fun. My dad wanted us to not be in the house because of how much time we have spent in it. It is going to be like a vacation in the sense we will not be at home.

Connell: Yes, extremely. We usually travel out of state for the holidays ad stay with my family, but because it is so crazy we are just celebrating with my immediate family

Sophomore Joseph Brewster

Brewster: I am celebrating Christmas in my dining room most of the break this year. 

Brewster: Because of Covid no family is coming in and we are not going anywhere. We are going to be doing a lot of family bonding type activities like Secret Santa. (I have my mom, but  don’t tell my mommy). I am excited for some of the stuff we will do. It is going to be really fun, and I like fun things.

Brewster: Extremely different. We are usually in Chicago, Kansas City, or some town in Jamaica with our entire family. This year not even all of my siblings will be home. 

This Christmas season is going to be different, but these students and their families have all found ways that they can find some normality in this abnormal year. Be sure to stay safe over the holiday break and be ready for a great second semester at St.Pius!