Alumni Association participates in Loads of Love laundry drive

Open to all students, the service opportunity is part of the inaugural Pi-Hi Day of Service on Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Andy Swartz, Staff Writer

As part of their inaugural Pi-Hi Day of Service, the St. Pius X Alumni Association is sponsoring the Loads of Love laundry drive and service opportunity this Monday, January 17. Martin Luth King Jr. Day is known across the nation as a day dedicated to service in local communities, and the Alumni Association decided they wanted to participate this year. 

“We wanted something local to do, so I reached out to Catholic Charities and asked what do you need?” said Director of Alumni Mrs. Karoline Brennan.

Catholic Charities connected her to St. Joseph Place, a living community that houses 47 low-income senior citizens. 

“One of their just really basic needs is the supplies to do laundry, which we all just sort of take for granted,” Mrs. Brennan said.

Donations including laundry baskets, detergent, fabric softener, stain remover, dryer sheets, hangers, and quarters for the coin-operated laundry machines are greatly appreciated. Students are encouraged to drop off their donations in the bins located at the front of the Donnellan Center by Friday, January 14. 

In addition to donating items, students can also earn credit for a service project by assembling packages of these supplies for the senior citizens. The project will take place on Monday,  January 17 from 10-11:30 am in the Donnellan Center. There are a limited number of spots are available, but there is still time to sign up here. 

“In addition we are going to write notes to them, encouraging them to stay positive during this time and that we’re thinking of them,” Mrs. Brennan added. 

This project is a wonderful way for the whole St. Pius X community to live out our Catholic faith and give back to those in need.