Theatre program presents “The Addams Family”

The winter musical runs February 24-27

Staff photo

Junior Connor McCarthy plays the role of Gomez Addams at rehearsals just a few days before opening night of the winter musical, “The Addams Family.”

Rain Mason, Staff Writer

The St. Pius X theater program will perform their winter musical “The Addams Family” Thursday, February 24 – Sunday, February 27.

“The Addams Family” is a musical comedy that follows a weird, kooky, gothish family. The daughter of the family, Wednesday Addams, falls in love with a man, Lucas Beineke, whose family is the exact opposite of the Addams, and this is where the conflict ensues.

Senior Bianca Cardona, who plays Wednesday, enjoyed portraying a character whose personality contrasted with hers.

“She is known for having a super straight face, monotone voice, not feeling anything at all,” Cardona said. “I enjoyed being able to be monotone and void of emotion because I consider myself a very bubbly and expressive person. So having to sit there with a straight face is so hard, yet so fun.”

Cardona also performed in the one act play “Failure: A Love Story” back in October. She enjoys being a part of the theater program at St. Pius.

“I have loved to perform since I was born,” she said. “Musical theater was a no brainer for me.”

Sophomore Porter Messick plays Mal Beineke, who is the father of Lucas and the antithesis of Gomez, the father of the Addams family. His older sister, senior Sarah Pruitt Messick, got him into performing in the musical.

“I wasn’t doing anything because I got hurt in the fall with football,” he said. “So I went ahead and tried out and it worked out.”

Auditions for the musical were held in December just before the end of the first semester. Over the winter break, cast members listened to music from the show to get acquainted with it, and they received their scripts the first week of January. 

The cast and crew have been practicing rigorously all semester, usually on weekdays from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. 

Messick praised his fellow cast members and talked about how they’ve become a close-knit group.

“They’ve helped me with music and dances and that kind of stuff. They’ve helped me realize how to play this part because they’ve been doing theater much longer than I have,” said Messick. “Much like football, it really is like a family and you get to know everyone really well, and they are always there if you need anything.”

Director Mrs. Tracey Buot’s dedication to setting up and putting together a good show also drew praise from Cardona.

“Watching her work is incredible because you can tell she’s thinking about the musical 24/7,” she said.

“The Addams Family ” is shaping up to be a spectacular musical full of crude humor. It is not what many would expect from a high school musical, but audiences can expect to be pleasantly surprised when they walk into the Young Center Auditorium at showtime. 

Click here to see showtimes and purchase your tickets today.