Homecoming Week kicks off with first ever Heritage Homecoming event

The evening will highlight the variety of heritages and cultures in our school community and will include international food, music, and performances

Katie O'Mara, Staff Writer

Homecoming usually brings to mind a fun week ending in a home football game and a dance hallmarked with awkward poster asks. While both of these things will continue to be a staple of Homecoming Week at St. Pius X, this year the school will also host a Heritage Homecoming event on Tuesday, October 18 from 6:00-8:00 pm in the gym and cafeteria. 

Counselor and main organizer of Heritage Homecoming Mrs. Mary Pat Martin said the evening is designed to “bring the world to St. Pius” and celebrate the variety of heritages and cultures at our school.

“We are all children of God with cultural ties to over 70 countries, and our families speak more than 25 languages in their homes,” Mrs. Martin said. 

The event is also another extension of our Catholic faith.

“As Catholic Christians, we believe in Jesus Christ and he’s the one that unifies us, hence, celebrating our diversity through our unity,” Mrs. Martin said.

She explained that the word Catholic is derived from the Greek word “katholikos,” which directly translates to the word “whole.” While the spelling may have changed, the message and meaning of Catholicism– “universal”–remains the same. 

The evening will include music, live entertainment, an international fashion show, and food, lots and lots of food. 

“If you’re a foodie,” Mrs. Martin said, “this event is definitely one for you.”

In addition to an international coffee tasting as well as food trucks, there will also be a cooking competition similar to the TV show “Chopped” as well as a baking competition. Teachers will serve as the judges, and the winning students will each receive Chick-fil-A gift cards.

“It’s going to be really exciting!” Mrs. Martin said. “Everybody is also encouraged to dress up in any of their cultural fashions, so I’m excited about seeing what everyone’s wearing.”

Three students involved in the cooking competition shared their thoughts about Heritage Homecoming. 

Why did you decide to participate in this event?

Junior Hailey Brown: I decided to participate in this event because I thought it could be fun. I’ve never been amazing at cooking, and I thought this competition could broaden my skills.

Junior Georgia Guadamuz: I decided to participate in these events because I feel as though Heritage Homecoming is an amazing opportunity to show my culture as well as learn about other cultures.

Freshman Peter Soulimiotis: I enjoy cooking. I also like the show “Chopped” so I thought it would be fun to compete. 

What part of the event are you most looking forward to?

Brown: I really excited to see the performances happening that night. I can’t help but think they are going to be very inspiring.

Guadamuz: I am most looking forward to the food tasting because I love food, especially new recipes I’ve never tasted or knew about.

Soulimiotis: I am looking forward to sampling all the foods from different cuisines that families bring.

Heritage Homecoming is open to the entire St. Pius community, and Mrs. Martin highly encourages everyone to attend. 

“I’m excited about starting a new tradition at Pius for our community to really come together,” she said.

Click here for more information, and check back here on the student newspaper site soon for photos and videos from the event.