OPINION: The best album intros of 2022

Tripp Buhler, Staff Writer

The intro of an album is the most crucial part of constructing a project. It lets the listener decide if they are going to enjoy the next 30-75 minutes or if they are going to stop listening after three songs. It gives a taste for what’s to come, and it can take many different forms. Whether it’s a slow intro to a fast-paced album, or the complete opposite, the intro should make the listener excited for the rest of the album.

My rankings will be determined by two main criteria: How well it fits the album and in general, how enjoyable the song is. These are my top 5 (plus an honorable mention) album intros of the year, featuring my relatively narrow music taste.

Honorable Mention — “Second Nature by Dayglow” (“People In Motion”)

Dayglow’s third studio album, “People In Motion”, was much anticipated and did not let down. The playful and bouncy Indie album continues their streak of releasing an album in even numbered years, following “Fuzzybrain” (2018) and “Harmony House” (2020). “Second Nature” opens the album in a very energetic and upbeat way.

It’s downfall? The length of the song. With 10 songs averaging around 3:30 each, the 5:49 intro track lasts way too long, especially with around half of the song being just instrumental. The rest of the album picks up the extended nature of the opening track, putting the album on a steady pace to finish out another fresh addition to Dayglow’s catalog.

#5 “Ice Talk” by 42 Dugg & EST Gee (“Last Ones Left”)

The first collaboration album between the aggressively-voiced duo leaves hardly anything to be desired, as the Kentucky and Detroit rappers cover all the bases. The threatening and thumping production from Helluva starts off the album with high energy and never lets it go. “Ice Talk” embodies what 42 Dugg & EST Gee do on the entirety of “Last Ones Left.” EST Gee’s raspy and ominous voice pairs with 42 Dugg’s high pitched and energetic delivery like peanut butter pairs with jelly. This song encapsulates what the duo do on the entire album.

The one reason it’s not higher on this list is that it differs too little from the album, as the beats, deliveries, and flows are all very similar throughout. Nonetheless, 42 Dugg and EST Gee delivered one of the best and most underrated collab albums of the year.

#4 “Let Me Go” by Giveon (“Give Or Take”)

Giveon’s sophomore album opens with a phone conversation, displaying a sweet and heartfelt sentiment from his mother, talking about how incredibly proud she is of how far he’s come. After the conversation, a slow and soft melody comes in, accompanied by Giveon’s distinctive and attention-grabbing voice. He opens up and becomes vulnerable, as he is speaking to a lover who he is fed up with. 

“Let Me Go” has Giveon exploring the main idea of the entire album, the trials and tribulations of relationships. He is expending his last ounce of patience as he talks about how exhausted he is with the lack of communication and clarity from his partner. He opens the album with an easy yet thought provoking track, leaning into the rest of the album in a mellow way.

#3 “712PM” by Future (“I NEVER LIKED YOU”)

Future’s much anticipated 2022 album, “I NEVER LIKED YOU,” did not fall too short of expectations. With a star studded list of features, Future had much to live up to, and started it on the right foot with his intro, “712PM.” Future’s typical subject matter of his adventures with women and running the streets is exercised with one of the best drill/upbeat instrumentals in recent memory. 

The Hatsune Miku sample is an odd choice, yet worked perfectly in conjunction with the trap beat. Future’s easily recognizable voice bounces around, using many different inflections and tones. “712PM” is all that “I NEVER LIKED YOU” is, wealth and ego. 

#2 “together” by redveil (“learn 2 swim”)

redveil’s debut album raised eyebrows among the entire rap community because it was entirely produced, mixed, and mastered by himself, who is just 18 years old. “together” opens the album with beautiful horns and percussion, accompanied by redveil’s vocals that are filled with determination. The lyrics paired with redveil’s delivery and flow encompass the entire feel of the album. In “together,” he talks about how he has had to adapt from his lowpoints, which is the entire message of the album, needing to learn to swim.

On the final lines, redveil invites the listener to embark upon the journey with him, saying “Advancing as long as the pendulum running/No succumbing, learn to swim if you coming.” The jazzy outro ends the song on a perfect tune, flowing into the rest of the album. This song was very close to being number one, but he was just edged out by the man who cosigned him onto his 2022 tour.

#1 “Melt Session #1” by Denzel Curry (“Melt My Eyez, See Your Future”)

My self-proclaimed Album Of The Year, “Melt My Eyez, See Your Future” could not start off in a better way than with this jazzy, angelic, and introspective track. Denzel uses this as a way to show the listener himself, and to show that he is just as flawed as the fans who look up to him. This song is made up of just one verse, delivered with a fast and steady flow. Denzel reflects on his struggles through life and his wrongdoings. 

“Melt Session #1” is more than just an intro, it is the album. Denzel tells why he is being introspective, stating that “Being aware is my definition of melt.” The track ends with him repeating the phrase “I keep walkin, I keep walkin, I keep walkin”, telling us and himself to keep pushing forward, as the tough times will be left in our tracks.

With just over two months left in the year, there is still more to come, including the highly anticipated release of Travis Scott’s “Utopia.” I hope you listen to these albums and many more, and let me know what your favorite intro of the year is!