Basketball managers: The talent you don’t see

Staff photo

Senior Ella Tillery gets water bottles ready before basketball practice one afternoon. Tillery is one of three managers for the team.

Luke Tillery, Staff Writer

As the clock hits 3:00 P.M. on gameday, the time rush begins for the basketball staff. They have around four short hours until tip-off, however, there are multiple tasks they need to complete before they are ready for the game.

Senior Ella Tillery, one of the newest managers for the boys’ basketball team said how she enjoys the high-paced, chaotic environment.

“I love keeping score and time for the in-practice scrimmages. It’s super fast-paced and exhilarating,” Tillery said. 

Veteran manager AC Carlson agreed.

“Definitely the responsibility of having to keep up with equipment and players’ needs in practice and at games, but other than that hanging out with everyone is by far my favorite part,” said Carlson. Tillery added, “I have so much fun on the bench during the games. The players are always upbeat and the other manager or athletic trainers genuinely crack me up.” 

Twelve-year head coach Aaron Parr said the managers are crucial for the team to function properly. 

“The managers do so many things for the coaches to help us succeed. They prepare the water bottles before practice, and keep the practice score, clock, and shot clock during practice,” Parr said. “On game days, they help with playing who subs out of the game, keep the film, and transport equipment.”

These tasks seem simple, however, during practice, they have to constantly watch what is happening such as points, fouls, and new drills requiring new time. However, the managers are able to do it every day with near to no mistakes ever made. 

When they’re not juggling their responsibilities, Coach Parr said he talks with the avengers about non-basketball topics, which helps him relax and take his mind off the game. 

“I love to have conversations with the managers about everything other than basketball. We talk about Pius, life, sports, their friends, and their weekend plans. Sometimes I tell them about my kids.”

The typical practice day for the managers can vary according to Tillery. She and AC divide up the jobs between one another and some days it can be simpler or a lot more complicated, however, they show no complaints. 

“Depending on how AC, Ten Sim, [another manager], and I divide up the practice jobs, I will run the shot clock, scorekeeping, or time,” Tillery said. 

A big job that keeps the players healthy is filling up water bottles. As simple as it sounds, there is an entire system. First, one manager has to fill up all the bottles, and then another will empty whatever is left after practice. During games, they have to rearrange the bottles depending on who is in and out, so they have to be paying attention because there is only so much time for the players to sit down, talk game strategy with the coaches, and get water. 

Carlson and Tillery agree with each other that some aspects of it are overwhelming, however, they wouldn’t trade it for the world. 

“I definitely wouldn’t call any part of it ‘hard’, but it can be overwhelming when they run drills during practice where I need to keep track of the shot clock and the scoreboard when Coach Parr switches up the rules to subtract points.” Carlson said. She added, “I can also say it doesn’t help that I don’t know much of the rules of basketball.” 

Sophomore basketball player Ryan Kim has been playing for almost nine years and said he’s thankful to have this set of managers. 

“I don’t think the team would function as it does now since the managers help out so much on the team and help it function smoothly,” Kim said.

As a player who starts on varsity, his game days and practices are rather intense. During any break when Coach Parr is talking Kim must listen to him while trying to rest for the limited time provided. Therefore this is when the managers come in and do their magic. 

“The managers help us with equipment like bringing water to practices and games, helping during practice with shot clocks, during games, and they give us water during timeouts and breaks,” Kim adds. 

The basketball managers are one of the key parts of a smooth and successful team. So next time you see them make sure you wish them good luck, pray for their stress, or thank them!