AP Biology students take weekend field trip

Students step outside the classroom to experience biology in a new way

AP Bio students study bugs and “critters” found on rocks in the water. They studied the organisms under microscopes and tried to identify them.

Widely known as one of the most difficult classes in our school curriculum, AP Biology is synonymous with late nights of studying and tear-soaked textbooks. Mixed in with all of the hard work, however, is a unique opportunity–the chance for the students attend an overnight field trip to put their knowledge to use with hands-on activities.  Science teachers Ms. Melissa Beam and Mr. Matt Lammers offer the field trip three times each school year, the most recent taking place Friday, January 25-Sunday, January 27.

The group of 20 juniors and seniors left Friday morning for the Sautee Hereford Ranch & Lodge in White County with three chaperones, Ms. Beam, Mr. Lammers, and Mr. Tom Knight, father of junior Caroline Knight. Mr. Lammers’ family owns the property, and classes have been taking field trips there for years.

“When you pull up, there’s a lot of land and a huge pond,” said junior Elizabeth Hollensbe. “It wasn’t what I was expecting.”

“It’s really cool,” junior Sylvie Buckalew said about the property. “The house where we stayed has so many rooms and is decorated so so nicely.”

On the hour-long bus ride, students prepared for an entertaining and informative weekend of doing fieldwork in a pond. When they arrived, they braved the frigid, winter temperature, and waded into the pond to catch “dragonfly looking things and wormy stuff,” as junior Tucker Kelly described them.

The students then took their organisms to a makeshift lab at the lodge and “looked at all the small critters under the microscope,” Kelly explained.

Other activities during the day included nature hikes, card games, lawn sports, and plenty of time to relax and play music, making the field trip “feel like summer camp,” according to junior Lauren Pompilio.

Junior Matthew Gregg agreed, stating that he appreciated “the opportunity to be independent and to manage our own time.”

A highlight of the trip was a Saturday night bonfire. Students sat around the fire roasting s’mores, playing guitars, and singing together, or, as junior Matthew Gregg put it, “freestyling with the Bio squad.” Whether it was the heat of the fire or the heat of Gregg’s fresh raps, students all agreed that the chance to unwind outside with friends was an enjoyable experience.

Before heading home on Sunday, the group attended mass at St. Paul’s Church in Cleveland, capping off a memorable weekend for everyone.

Kelly said he walked away with a “newfound love for science,” and Gregg said he learned “many life skills, and I got to experience what biologists do in their field.”

Hollensbe said, “I would definitely go on another trip,” proving that a rigorous AP science class can be both educational and fun at the same time.