St. Pius X will offer a nap elective next year

Rylee Tozier, Staff Writer

Do you get detentions for sleeping in class? Are you up late most nights cramming for your test the next day? Calling all sleepers! St. Pius X has an elective for you.

In addition to changing our mascot next year, St. Pius X will offer a new naptime elective. Taught by Mrs. Amy Williams, the course will be open to all grade levels but, similar to a study hall, it won’t count as an academic credit.

“You know what else you don’t get a grade in? Life,” Mrs. Williams said. “But even the disciples fell asleep, even after Jesus had asked them to stay awake. It’s a good lesson to us all that we can all use a little extra sleep every now and then.”

The course will be offered periods 4-8, and all students will be required to go to the clinic and pop a melatonin about an hour before their scheduled class.

“I want them nice and sleepy. If they talk or toss and turn too much, I won’t be able to sleep in class either,” Mrs. Williams explained.

When students walk into the classroom, they’ll grab their sleeping bags from a cabinet and settle in for a class-led prayer and possibly a story, if they’re good. Inspired by the Counseling Office and the Deans of Students Office, Mrs. Williams will also stream in white noise.

She also wants to make it very clear that this is not an alternative study hall.

“Students will receive a detention if they are caught doing work for another class or with their eyes open,” she said. “I only agreed to teach this course because I was told I could sleep, so that’s what I plan on doing. I simply won’t tolerate anyone who tries to interfere with that.”

Teachers have mixed feelings about this being a new class.

“Personally, I love it,” said Mr. Matt Lammers. “I’m getting up there in age and sometimes my eyes need a little extra rest. I may get a sub to cover my class and pop in from time to time.”

Mrs. Cary Blackburn, on the other hand, thinks that students should be using these 47 minutes for developing a skill they can use in the future.

“I don’t know why they just can’t take a nap after school,” said Mrs. Blackburn.

Most students are understandably thrilled for the opportunity to get some much-needed rest during the school day. Sophomore Karen Baiden, for example, is looking forward to receiving fewer detentions for falling asleep in class.

“Finally, I can sleep without getting punished!” she said.