Swim and dive teams bring home several individual titles at state meet

Girls place 2nd, boys 4th overall, with sophomores Morgan Jenny, Julia Herring and boys relay team earning finishing 1st in their events

Photo courtesy of coach Katie Stilson

The boys 200 Medley Relay team shows of their 1st place medals at the state meet. From left: junior Noah Daniels, junior Ayden Hess, senior Henry Halloran, freshman Zach Sutter.

Jackson Long and Kevin Petersen

The swim and dive teams capped their season state meet February 2-3. Hosted at the Georgia Tech Aquatic Center, the girls placed 2nd and the boys 4th.

Helping the Golden Lions earn a state runner-up title was sophomore Morgan Jenny, who placed 1st in both the 500 Freestyle 200 IM.  Sophomore diver also Julia Herring placed 1st, earning her back-to-back state diving championships.

On the boys side, senior Henry Halloran, who will swim at Villanova next year, earned 2nd place in both the 200 IM and 500 Freestyle. The boys 200 Medley Relay also took home 1st place, consisting of Halloran, juniors Noah Daniels and Ayden Hess, and freshman Zach Sutter. 

Senior Ian O’Hara said they began to taper near the end of the season to prepare for the state meet.

After our last meet [on January 21 against Decatur], our practices really slowed down without 15 people in the water [at one time],” he said. “In the week leading up to state, there were three of us and two coaches, and we took the time to slow down and focus on technique and individual skills to polish up.”

He also said that head coach Scott Carter and assistant coaches Katie Stilson and Jason Eaglen “made sure we knew what and when to eat as well as consistently hydrate. Thanks to them, we were able to prepare to exceed at state.”