Calling all druids, rogues, warlocks, and bards!

New Dungeons & Dragons club is up and running

Hunter Minne, Editor-in-Chief

Freshmen Myles Nicholson and Brennan Ciccarelli, with the support of their moderators Mr. Ross DeMocko and Ms. Carmen Shytle, created the new Dungeons and Dragons Club that meets every Wednesday after school either in the library or room 301, Mr. Hiland’s classroom. 

Dungeons and Dragons is a very popular tabletop role-playing game played in turns where groups of people go on quests and adventures together in fantasy worlds. After the initial educational phase of the meetings are over, they will finally begin playing D&D.

“The first few meetings will consist of teaching the basic mechanics of D&D as well as character creation,” Ciccarelli said.

Depending on the number of students at each meeting, a number of parties containing three-four students will be a part of each three-week campaign. 

“You don’t really win Dungeons & Dragons,” Cicarelli explained. “It’s about having fun and just the people that you’re with.”

Even though the focus is on fun, the club will still manage player roles to maintain the educational side as well. For instance, with the position of Dungeon Master, or the person who sets up and oversees a campaign, not just anyone can take over.

“For the first two I think we’re going to have teachers [be the Dungeon Master], but if there are any people who are experienced with D&D, we’ll put them in like a shuffle,” Ciccarelli said. “If you want to try out being a Dungeon Master, we can email you.”

However, Ciccarelli and Nicholson will keep the position of Dungeon Master open to beginners and veterans of the game as long as enough people come to meetings to allow for multiple parties each week.

“It depends on who comes, and there are a lot more people than I thought would be here honestly,” Nicholson said.

Ciccarelli was also pleasantly surprised by the new club’s sudden popularity.

“I thought maximum four [would come], but it’s pretty popular!” Ciccarelli said. “But I think it’s going to be a close, tight community.”

Nicholson and Ciccarelli look forward to an exciting year of quests and campaigns, and they invite others to join them in their adventures.