Juried Visual Arts Exhibition showcases student talent

The 15th annual show will take place Friday, March 1

Staff photo

Junior Kyra Graap shows off her painting titled “Corruption” that she submitted to the Juried Arts Exhibition

The St. Pius X 15th Annual Juried Visual Arts Exhibition will take place next Friday, March 1 at 7:00pm.

The event features student-submitted pieces in a variety of categories, including painting, printmaking, photography, 2D design, 3D design, drawing, mixed media and ceramics.

“This event started 15 years ago when it was suggested that we have something to showcase the visual art that students create,” said art teacher Corinna Brannon. “We had contests and celebrations for almost everything except for art, so we felt that it was time to start this showcase.”

Mr. Keith Rosemond II, a Savannah College of Art and Design graduate and St. Pius alum (‘04), will judge the submissions and present awards to students. Rosemond was born and raised in Atlanta and double majored in Illustration and Graphic Design. With his own company, Keith Two LLC, he sells his work at local festivals and events in the Atlanta area. He said the purpose in his art represents his life journey and his desire to grow personally and encourage others.

“I was checking up on students who had formerly taken AP arts classes and I saw that Keith went to SCAD and still produces and designs,” said Brannon. “So I reached out to him about this show and he was so happy to come.”

Dozens of students from almost every visual arts class offered at St. Pius  will have their work featured this year. According to Ms. Brannon, she usually receives about 300 submissions.

“It is a really cool experience to see all of the work in the show,” said junior Laney Polvino, who was featured in the exhibition last year. “The pieces that won awards last year were really incredible!”

Ms. Brannon encourages all students and teachers to come and support the visual arts this year. “Everyone is welcome to come and view the art,” said Ms. Brannon. “The show is FREE! No ticket needed!”

The “red carpet” event is from 7-9pm. The ceremony will be around 40 minutes, and immediately after a reception open to everyone will take place in the art room.